The trouble with restrictive meal replacement diets (milkshakes, bowls of cereal), strict instructions (grapefruit at every meal, specific recipes to follow) and calorie/point/syn etc. counting methods is that they’re not very compatible with eating socially. Even when you can check your food choices against that book or app they’ve given you, wouldn’t you rather be concentrating on enjoying your company? And that’s a real shame because eating out is something we should all be free to enjoy.
A ‘lifestyle’ on the other hand is just that; you do it indefinitely rather than for a fixed time. For this reason it has to be flexible enough to cope with all situations – eating out at restaurants, buying a quick lunch on the run, Christmas; if you’re struggling to fit these into your ‘Diet’ then you’re on the wrong programme.
Here are some good fat loss choices when eating away from home:
- Steak with salad or vegetables.
- Gammon steak with an egg, with salad instead of chips.
- Tandoori chicken with mixed salad.
- Egg chop suey.
- Chicken Caesar or tuna Nicoise salad without croutons or potatoes respectively, with dressing on the side to use sparingly.
- Pack of sliced sandwich meat (turkey, chicken, beef or pork being good choices) or a pack of cooked ready to eat prawns with salad snack packs and an apple.
- A tub of low fat cottage cheese with pre-cut crudité.
- Burger (beef or chicken), with a small slice of cheese if you want, but no bun, plus an undressed side salad.
- Fry-Up Brunch: 1 egg, 1 slice bacon, 1 serving of baked beans, and unlimited mushrooms and tomatoes.
- Roast meat with one small potato and unlimited vegetables, with a small serving of gravy.
- Spaghetti Carbonara served to you at a dinner party – don’t be rude, don’t be silly, the occasional ‘non-fatloss’ meal will not make you ‘fat’ any faster than one ‘good’ meal will make you slim, so just relax.